Wednesday, July 2, 2008

An Adequate Punishment is Nearly Impossible

It is agreed upon amongst almost everyone that the worst possible crime is raping a child. Not only is it immoral no matter what the victim’s age, but when you think of a helpless, defenseless child it is nothing less than sickening. I agree that "Jessica's Law" is not harsh enough for these rapists, after 15 years they could still be able to continue their crimes when they get out. It is hard to draw the line between what is a suitable punishment and what is not, because normally I would say the death penalty is too extensive but then again keeping these offenders in jail is only wasting our tax dollars. I certainly do not feel as though any money I contribute to the wellness of our state and country should in any way benefit child rapists. So in that respect, I should opt for the death penalty, but it is not that easy. How should they be punished? While I think that 15 years is too little, I think that regardless of how much time they spend in jail, they should to be constantly reminded of the hideous crime(s) they have committed and never be free of it. That child will never be able to be free of it, they will have to live with it all of their lives, so why should the person that did that to them be able to start over? I am not sure what the right sentence would be, or even the most effective, but I do think that they should have a harsher punishment for ruining the life of a child.

Original Post: http://currentgovtissues.blogspot.com/2008/06/should-they-get-death-penalty.html

No comments: